Avant is Australia’s largest medical defence organisation. With an objective to be the business and career partner of its members, Avant provides:
• Medico-legal protection and risk management advisory services.
• Support, advice and legal representation in the event of a claim or complaint.
• Health insurance products.
• Education, research and training programs.
• Various other insurance products spanning cover of medical practices, income, life, disability and travel.
• Advocacy representation for its members collectively where it can make a difference.
Avant has over 80,000 members, annual premiums of $280m, 850 staff and net assets of over $1billion.
Avant is a member owned organisation. Its core objective is to support, protect and defend its members.
About the Role
As a key member of the Medical Indemnity Line 1 Risk & Compliance team and reporting to the Head of Assurance, you will have the freedom and autonomy to utilise your risk and compliance expertise in a role with a transformational focus.
If you enjoy building and embedding, this could be the opportunity for you.
You will add value by working with key stakeholders across MI, advising them on the implementation of risk management frameworks
and build trust through constructive challenge. You will need to balance the tension between risk and compliance requirements wihile
remaining pragmatic about commercial objectives. The role provides analysis and insights to management to help them assess their risks and support decision making. You will also have strong project management skills and a change and capability mindset to support the teams along the risk and compliance journey and help mature risk management within Medical Indemnity.
Your key accountabilities include:
• Be a source of influence and experience in driving a strong risk and compliance culture across MI
• Prepare insights and analysis to help business units manage their risk profiles and support decision making
• Contribute to the preparation of risk and compliance reports for management and the Board
• Leverage Line 2 Risk expertise to articulate risk and compliance in way that is tangible and meaningful to the business
• Support business units as they enhance their Risk & Control Self Assessments and provide coaching on controls assurance testing to ensure it is conducted on a timely basis and to requisite levels of quality
• Perform deep dives into specific areas or processes to identify control gaps and improvement opportunities
• Manage the change associated with the risk journey and uplifting risk maturity
• Review and challenge risk-in-change assessments for material business risks, including new products, system changes, material projects and other activities affecting the Medical Indemnity risk profile.
• Monitor incidents and issues as they arise and coach teams to ensure incidents are correctly recorded and remediated timely
• Support recording of issues and help management identify solutions that address root cause
• Guide the business with managing compliance obligations, for example: currency of obligations register, Business Impact Assessments, CPS 234 vendor compliance
• Coach and mentor junior team members
To be successful in this role you will have:
• Strong understanding of risk and compliance frameworks, and ability to apply a risk lens in a commercial context and propose pragmatic solutions
• Experience in building risk profiles, conducting risk and control assessments, and controls assurance
• Familiarity with core APRA and ASIC regulations and Australian Privacy Principles
• Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) to engage a variety of stakeholders
• Data analysis skills to derive insights and drive action
• Project management and change management experience would be beneficial
• Ability to work independently and use initiative to solve complex problems
• Experience in a Line 1, Line 2 or audit role within Financial Services
• Tertiary qualification
At Avant, our people are the centre of everything we do for our members. We offer a range of benefits and opportunities to enable you to make a difference, learn, and grow in your career.
Please note: Avant Mutual is a vaccinated employer. Prior to the commencement of your employment by Avant, you are required to be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus or have a medical certificate stating that you cannot receive a Covid-19 vaccination for valid medical reasons