Special Counsel / Senior Associate - Workplace Law
Job no: 499401
Work type: full time
Location: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
Categories: Employment Law
Avant Mutual Group is Australia's leading medical defence organisation. We are an organisation created by doctors, for doctors.
Avant operates nationally and supports over 82,000 healthcare professionals and students through our Member service, claims management expertise, 24/7 medico-legal advice and highly experienced legal representation.
Our Mutual structure, heritage and ethos ensure that our members are at the centre of everything we do.
We are seeking a Special Counsel or Senior Associate – Workplace Law to join the Incorporated Legal Practice Avant Law Pty Ltd in our national team for a permanent, full time or part-time role.
The key responsibilities include:
This role will see you deliver high quality, timely legal advice and services in respect of workplace law matters to the claims department of Avant Insurance and Avant’s members. Reporting to the Legal Team Manager, Workplace Law Team, your role will include:
- Provide a professional, thorough and effective legal service to achieve the best outcome for Avant Insurance and Avant’s members.
- A broad remit of workplace law issues, including compliance, termination, discrimination, general protections, investigations and disciplinary matters.
- Representing medical practitioners (public and private sectors) and medical practices in courts, tribunals and inquiries and instructing counsel in complex cases.
- Advising Avant Insurance on insurance claims from its members.
- Contributing to the collective knowledge and learning of the Avant Law and Avant Insurance teams on employment, safety and discrimination issues.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Relevant tertiary legal qualifications.
- Eligible to hold an unsupervised practising certificate as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court and the High Court of Australia.
- Demonstrated post admission experience (ideally over seven years) in respondent and/or applicant employment law.
- The ability to express ideas effectively with proven excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of prioritisation, time management and self-management skills.
- The ability to mentor and support junior team members.
- Good computer literacy and competency to work in an electronic document management environment.
Why work for Avant Law?
- You would be working for Australia’s largest specialist medico-legal law firm.
- You are guaranteed a pipeline of work from your instructing client, Avant Insurance, who are co-located.
- You will get to work on a great variety and breadth of cases but with a focus on workplace law claims.
- You will be working in an open and collaborative environment with access to the top specialist medico-legal solicitors in the country.
We prefer to deal with candidates directly. If you have any queries regarding the role, please do not hesitate to contact Adam Emery, Talent Acquisition Business Partner at 0484 300 064 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Avant Mutual is a vaccinated employer. Prior to the commencement of your employment by Avant, you are required to be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus or have a medical certificate stating that you cannot receive a Covid-19 vaccination for valid medical reasons.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend