Special Counsel/Senior Associate - Professional Conduct
Job no: 499510
Work type: full time
Categories: Insurance and Superannuation Law, Disciplinary Law
Avant Mutual Group is Australia's leading medical defence organisation. We are an organisation created by doctors, for doctors.
Avant operates nationally and support over 80,000 healthcare professionals and students through our Member service, claims management expertise, 24/7 medico-legal advice and highly experienced legal representation.
Our mutual structure, heritage and ethos ensure that our members are at the centre of everything we do.
We are seeking a Special Counsel or Senior Associate to join the Incorporated Legal Practice Avant Law Limited in our Sydney CBD team for a permanent, full-time role.
The key responsibilities include:
- This role will see you deliver high quality, timely legal advice and services in respect of Professional Conduct matters to the claims department of Avant Insurance and Avant’s members.
- Provide a professional, thorough and effective legal service to achieve the best outcome for Avant’s members.
- Provide oral and written legal advice to members and Avant Insurance claims managers concerning professional conduct matters including Medical Board investigations, Coronial inquests, Medicare reviews/Committees, HCCC claims and preparing hearings for NCAT.
- Providing general medico-legal advice to Avant members and Claims Managers.
- Represent members in legal proceedings, attend court, tribunals or inquiries and through clear and persuasive advocacy achieve the best outcome for the member.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Relevant tertiary legal qualifications.
- Eligible to hold an unsupervised practising certificate as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW and the High Court of Australia.
- Demonstrated post admission experience (ideally over six years) in medical negligence, professional conduct related litigation and criminal law experience is preferred.
- Previous experience in conducting all phases of professional conduct cases.
- The ability to express ideas effectively with proven excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of prioritisation, time management and self-management skills.
- The ability to mentor and support junior team members.
- Good computer literacy and competency to work in an electronic document management environment.
Why work for Avant Law?
- You would be working for Australia’s largest specialist medico-legal law firm.
- You are guaranteed a pipeline of work from your instructing client, Avant Insurance, who are co-located.
- You will get to work on a great variety and breadth of cases but with a focus on medical indemnity professional conduct claims.
- You will be working in an open and collaborative environment with access to the top specialist medico-legal solicitors in the country.
We prefer to deal with candidates directly. If you have any queries regarding the role, please do not hesitate to contact Adam Emery, Talent Acquisition Business Partner at 0484 300 064 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Avant Mutual is a vaccinated employer. Prior to the commencement of your employment by Avant, you are required to be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus or have a medical certificate stating that you cannot receive a Covid-19 vaccination for valid medical reasons.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend