Avant is Australia’s leading medical defense organisation with a proud heritage of protecting Australian medical professionals for over 130 years. It was established by a small group of doctors in 1893, who wanted to “protect themselves from actions arising out of the practice of medicine”.
Avant now represents 82,000 health practitioners and medical students across every state and territory, delivering market leading products and services to meet their professional, personal and practice needs. Building on this heritage, our vision is to be the most trusted professional partner in supporting doctors throughout their lives and careers.
As a mutual organisation, owned by members and run purely for their benefit, our members are at the centre of all we do. As well as providing products and services to our member, we play a broader community role by advocating for improvements in the healthcare system and in quality, safety and professionalism in medicine, through delivering education and research activities.
About the Role
This role has point responsibility for the State of WA, development of operational plans and ownership of acquisition and retention strategies within the defined State geography, aligned with and contributing towards realisation of the national growth strategy together with proactive management of the claims portfolio for WA and NT.
This will involve both direct responsibility for sales to high value and/or complex prospects, and direct responsibility for claims management and of staff managing the WA and NT claims portfolio. Including medico-legal assistance support services.
The principal purposes of the position:
• Lead the office for the State of WA
• Drive sales across segments and products within the defined State
• Proactively manage the claims portfolio in WA and NT
• Provide leadership to staff involved in the management of the claim portfolio in WA and NT
Key Accountability for the role includes:
• Point responsibility for the State of WA
• Act as escalation point for conflict resolution
• Acquisition and retention of key customers in State / cross sell to existing customers
• Annual sales planning and management, including marketing and development
• Manage and direct the delivery of claims management services to Avant and its WA and NT members to meet operational, financial and service requirements
• Ensure the proactive management of new and existing claims in a cost effective and efficient manner with legal reviews and investigations being undertaken in accordance with Avant’s claim management policies and procedures
• Provide guidance, leadership, direction, performance feedback and coaching to the Medical Indemnity team in WA
• Support the delivery of our medico-legal advice service to Avant members in a 24/7 shift environment for emergencies
• Engage in initiatives to educate members, staff and internal and external bodies in medico-legal issues, clinical risk and claims trends
• Actively manage the relationship between staff and other Avant departments including Avant Law, Underwriting and Advocacy
• Contribute to strategic planning, monitor operations and actively pursue opportunities for improvement in claims processes, procedures and member outcomes
• Operational, risk and people management
• State stakeholder relationship management / development
To be successful you will have:
• Tertiary qualifications in a business, law or medicine
• Insurance or financial planning qualifications (desirable)
• Claims experience (desirable)
• Tier I orTier II
• Successful track record in managing an organisation-wide sales department, or strategic leadership of a State/territory team.
• People management experience within a sales environment
• Strong Leadership (mandatory)
• Willingness to collaborate
• Problem solving skills and innovative thinking
• Independence and autonomy
• Ability to influence constructively
• Drive and determination
At Avant, our people are the centre of everything we do for our members. We offer a range of benefits and opportunities to enable you to make a difference, learn, and grow in your career.
For further information, please contact Nico Touze, Head of Talent Acquisition on 0467 289 985.