Head of Practice - Claims (Civil) NSW
Job no: 497677
Work type: full time
Categories: Claims, Management, Claims
Avant Mutual Group is Australia's leading doctors’ mutual. We are an organisation created by doctors, for doctors.
Avant operates nationally and supports over 76,000 healthcare professionals and students through our Member service, claims management expertise, 24/7 medico-legal advice and highly experienced legal representation.
A unique leadership opportunity is now available to lead our NSW civil claims team, based in Sydney. This is a permanent, full time opportunity.
In this leadership opportunity, that focuses on both people and portfolio management, you will lead our Claims and Medical Advisory experts to provide best practice claims processes for our members.
The key responsibilities include:
- Direct the delivery of civil claims management services to Avant and its NSW members to meet operations, financial and service requirements
- Ensure the proactive management of new and existing claims in a cost effective and efficient manner with legal reviews and investigations being undertaken in accordance with Avant’s claim management policies and procedures
- Provide weekly reporting on civil claim portfolio movements to the General Manager – Civil
- Provide guidance, leadership, direction, performance feedback and coaching to the NSW Practice Managers across our civil and professional conduct teams
- Support the delivery of our medico-legal advice service to Avant members in a 24/7 shift environment
- Engage in initiatives to educate members, staff and internal and external bodies in medico-legal, clinical risk and claims matters
- Actively manage the relationship between Claims staff and other Avant departments including Avant Law, Underwriting, Advocacy and relevant committees
- Actively manage the relationships between Claims staff and external stakeholders including Panel legal firms
- Contribute to strategic planning, monitor operations and actively pursue opportunities for improvement in claims processes, procedures and member outcomes
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in law, business or Health
- Previous demonstrated experience in a senior leadership role in a long tail claims environment such as medical indemnity, workers compensation, personal injury, CTP or public liability
- Senior claims management experience with a strong understanding of claim management practices and regulatory and governance requirements
- Advanced and deep understanding of insurance products, principles and insurance law
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement and vision to further develop a best in market practice and culture
- Strong relationship building skills, with a proactive approach to developing relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated excellence in cultural development, team engagement and embedding a proactive risk culture
- Excellent communication skills and advocacy skills
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skills
At Avant, our people are the centre of everything we do for our members. We offer a range of benefits and opportunities to enable you to make a difference, learn, and grow in your career.
For further information, please contact Paul Shipton, Talent Acquisition Manager on (02) 9260 9107.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend