Chief Medical Officer
Job no: 498374
Work type: part time
Location: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
Categories: C-Level, Management
Avant is Australia’s leading medical defence organisation with a proud heritage of protecting Australian medical professionals for over 125 years.
Avant now represents 78,000 health practitioners and medical students across every state and territory, delivering market leading products and services to meet their professional, personal and practice needs. Building on this heritage, our vision is to be the most trusted professional partner in supporting doctors throughout their lives and careers.
As a mutual organisation, owned by members and run purely for their benefit, our members are at the centre of all we do. As well as providing products and services to our member, we play a broader community role by advocating for improvements in the healthcare system and in quality, safety and professionalism in medicine, through delivering education and research activities.
We now have an opportunity to join the Executive team as our Chief Medical Officer. This is a senior leadership opportunity in a permanent, part time capacity (3 days per week) and can be based in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Reporting to the Group CEO & Managing Director, this role will lead our Advocacy, Education and Research (AER) division, with 5 direct reports and an overall team of 20 people.
The strategic objectives of the role of Chief Medical Officer, and of the Advocacy, Education and Research (AER) division more broadly, include:
- Advocating for safer patient outcomes, doctor wellbeing and effective medical indemnity and regulatory environments;
- Sharing information and learnings to support and encourage doctors to practise safely and professionally, reduce their medico-legal risk and improve patient safety;
- Leveraging our data, experience and our strong stakeholder relationships to support our advocacy and medico-legal information and education; and
- Support profession led research, education and leadership projects through the Avant Foundation that support improvement in the quality, safety and professionalism in medical practice in Australia.
The key responsibilities of our Chief Medical Officer include:
- Be the medical voice in the Group Executive team to develop and deliver the Avant strategy.
- Lead the advocacy, education and research division and guide the strategic direction to make an impact on quality, safety and professionalism for members.
- Be the medical face of Avant externally by being a clear and credible voice for Avant amongst our members and in the industry.
- Chair the Avant Foundation Board as well as providing oversight on the Foundation program of grants and scholarships to support medical practitioner projects that enhance the practice of medicine.
- Be a conduit between our internal medical advisers and the broader organization.
- Provide medical oversight of our various member committees.
- Manage the operation of the National Advocacy Stakeholder Committee to help develop and promulgate Avant’s advocacy positions.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A medical degree and ideally a post graduate qualification in a medical, legal, mediation or related field.
- Extensive clinical experience is essential while experience in medical education and knowledge of the medical indemnity industry legal system is ideal.
- An outcomes and values focus in advancing the collective interest of the members, driving a culture that puts the members at the centre of all activity.
- Proven success as a key decision-maker and adviser, prepared to take calculated risks and to take ownership, continuously find ways to do things better, hold people accountable, and drive appropriate behaviour and focus.
- Strong influencing and communication skills, with the courage to challenge assumptions and outcomes, to protect the organisation.
- The ability to work strategically as well as drilling down into the details and rolling up their sleeves as needed.
- Strong problem solving, innovative thinking and drive to succeed.
- Proven and effective communication to Committee and Board level.
At Avant, our people are the centre of everything we do for our members. We offer a range of benefits and opportunities to enable you to make a difference, learn, and grow in your career.
For further information, please contact Paul Shipton, Talent Acquisition Manager on 0466 474 895.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend